Lately I seem to have blogged about non-arty things, although I have been talking about what I have been up to in my newsletter. (If you would like to have my art news delivered to your inbox each fortnight, simply sign up here.) Originally I added “….an update” to the title of this post, thinking I had already told you about my latest obsession ~ sewing on paper ~ but it turns out it is a long time since I have written about my art, and haven’t told you about the sewing much at all. (See, it pays to subscribe to my newsletter!) So, here goes…
Last year I began sewing again, hand-sewing and machine-sewing, creating trees mainly. All the while there was the little thought at the back of my mind “What it I sew on paper rather than material?”. Those What if …..? questions are the backbone of my creativity. So I did. I began with some experimental pieces that I made exclusively for subscribers. They were a combination of machine and hand sewing. (Some are still available, so let me know if one or more take your fancy.)
I was hooked.
My next “What if….?” was “What if I sew over an existing watercolour painting?”. The composition of an old fig painting had never moved me, so I changed it by sewing over the top of the figs, cutting them out and attaching them to another piece of paper, on which I had sewn the outline of a fig leaf. A much better composition.
Since then I have sold a capsicum
and a pumpkin
There is another pumpkin almost finished
It is waiting for me to return from my latest series.
About a year ago I was playing around with watercolour representations of the trees on Flinders Island. There were parts of the pieces that I loved, but something didn’t quite work. Nothing to ruin by experimenting with sewing over the top.
This was the first one to go under the sewing machine:
Definitely a good learning curve there. (At some other time I am going to blog about the things that surprise me when sewing on paper.)
And then the second:
You can still the glorious watercolour, the way the colours mix together, while the sewing has given the piece movement and flow.
These two photos show the piece at different stages, to give you a sense of how it progressed.
There is another work in progress……I love the watercolour effects of the trees in the original. It seemed to capture the canopy really well. The understory didn’t work; maybe the wrong colour; maybe too many trunks was stopping me from finding my way through. Whatever, it didn’t inspire me, until the sewing stage began. Now I am really liking it. It has a drawing quality about it.
I think I will leave the canopies of the defined trees, and just work up the part that meets the sky.. I will see how that works, as I am not sure about the edge between the background canopy and the other trees. Perhaps highlights there will help. And I think I will leave the dark green area in the middle.
The sewing has improved the understory, and I am still working my way around that, trying to keep the ‘taking a line for a walk’ effect.
It has taken me a while to get to this creative place, a place where I feel confident that I have something to pursue, a direction, to create a series that might be interesting and different. I shall see where it takes me.
If reading this has encouraged you to sign up for regular updates on my art work, you can click on this link to subscribe.
If you already subscribe ~ thank you. You may have friend who would like my newsletter. Just forward it on to them. 💜
The next edition should be out tomorrow.