The other week it was way too hot to do anything, especially anything creative that required paper or paint. I imagined the paper disintegrating in my sweaty hands. But it had been hot for a few days, and I was sick of blobbing around. So I pulled out some material and a pattern which had been sitting in the back of the drawer for quite a few years. Just the project for a very hot day.
It was easy….. sort of. All the pieces were rectangles, so I had to nut out and keep track of which piece went which way, and then check before I sewed.
I learnt things from making my blue linen dress, like pressing the seams as I go. It makes such a difference.
I like the back too, but again I had to make sure I was sewing the right parts together.
The fastening is meant to be with a button. There is a neat little button hole built into the seam at the front. However I didn’t quite line up the facing properly, so the button hole doesn’t quite work. And I had this lovely brooch that my mum gave to me. Perfect as a fastener.
The other thing to show you is the facing. I decided not to use the iron-on fusable stuff they recommend, nor use the same material. I thought it would make it too stiff. A couple of years ago Rita sent me some material as a Secret Santa gift, which was just perfect. The lining makes me smile, and is sort of a secret facing surprise.
I have worn it a few times now, and am pleased with how versatile it is. On hot days I can wear it with a singlet or t-shirt and on cooler days like today, a long sleeved t-shirt. I think I will make another one.
And to make me feel even better about it, a complete stranger complimented it today, saying that she especially liked the back. Awww.